Sometimes, particularly when I’ve been busy, my more elaborate skincare routines - the serums, facemasks etc. - fly right out of the window. But I always, always try to keep my basics in place. Without them, my skin soon complains!
As we move into summer (and we are, despite the fact I am currently wearing black tights in June), I thought I’d give a timely reminder of some skin-friendly top tips.
1. Make some time to exfoliate at least twice a week and slather your body from top to toe with your favourite body lotion. You should see a shift from lumpy to smooth in just a few weeks!
2. In summertime, it’s all too easy to sit in a beer garden catching some rays but your skin will soon suffer. If you’re experiencing dry patches, slapping on a body oil will quickly, and thoroughly, nourish your skin. If you’ve had a little too much sun and are burnt, apply pure aloe vera gel 3 to 4 times a day to ease the discomfort and help heal the damaged skin.
3. Speaking of damaged skin, and I can’t stress this enough: use sun protection. If you’re like me and dislike the texture of sun cream, just remind yourself that the sun is main cause of premature ageing and you’ll soon be applying it like a safe sun lover. Use an SPF of at least 30 and it’s also wise to buy a product that’s waterproof. Make sure you cover your ears - they are so easy to forget but will be the first to burn!
4. Stock up on a good lip balm in the summer - just make sure it contains an SPF.
5. Water, water, water! It’s an oldie but a goodie; keeping yourself hydrated over the summer is possibly the best thing you can do for your skin. You can often find conflicting advice about how much water you should be drinking, but if you use the classic guide of 2 - 3 litres per day, you won’t go far wrong. I’m sorry to say that beer, wine and cocktails don’t count!
What are your top tips for a sensational, skin-friendly summer?
Follow me on Twitter
Join me on Instagram